[postgis-users] DMARC config

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Wed Aug 23 17:38:54 PDT 2023

Sandro Santilli <strk at kbt.io> writes:

> On Wed, Aug 16, 2023 at 08:46:08AM +0200, Paolo Cavallini wrote:
>> Dear admin,
>> the list, as many @osgeo were, is misconfigured for its DMARC. I suggest to
>> change one of the settings.
>
> Hi Paolo, thanks for the heads up.
> I've followed Markus Neteler's recipe here:
> https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/ticket/2475#comment:43
>
> My understanding is that this should ONLY affect the emails coming
> from a domain with DMARC Reject/Quarantine Policy so your reply to
> this email might have the From munged while mine might not.
>
> This mail is sent to postgis-users so we can use it also as a test :)

test failed because your domain does not sign with dkim.

IMHO the rule for mailinglists is simple:

  do not change the subject

  do not change the body (to include "do not add footers")

THen DKIM will still pass, and there is no problem.

I view From: not being the original sender to be a esrious problem as
the "reply" MUA action will send to the list, publishing private
content.   ANd yes, I know about reply-to, but reply-to has become
unusable because so many lists abuse it to cause "reply" to send replies
other than to the original sender.

In all seriousness, just configure the list not to modify messages,
other than adding List-Foo headers, and the problems all go away.