[postgis-users] improve query - summarize building count and area on each parcel

karsten karsten at terragis.net
Mon Mar 27 15:23:58 PDT 2023

Regina,

and that took days too?   I would expect the index on the centroid to make
much more of a difference than the LEFT / INNER JOIN change.
No at that time I had not the centroids indexed just the polygon boundaries
themselves  ...

 >>  I think the LEFT / INNER JOIN performance would have a lot to do with
number of rows in each table and whether it resorts to a nested vs. hash.
There have been performance issues in PostgreSQL that cause LEFT to be much
slower than INNER, but I think most of those have been long resolved.

It might be some left over stuff with our poor spatial stats estimates.  >>>

Interesting

>> SELECT version(), postgis_full_version();
shows:
PostgreSQL 12.8 (Ubuntu 12.8-0ubuntu0.20.04.1) on x86_64-pc-linux-gnu,
compiled by gcc (Ubuntu 9.3.0-17ubuntu1~20.04) 9.3.0, 64-bit |
POSTGIS="3.1.4 ded6c34" [EXTENSION] PGSQL="120" GEOS="3.10.1-CAPI-1.16.0"
PROJ="7.2.1" LIBXML="2.9.10" LIBJSON="0.13.1" LIBPROTOBUF="1.3.3"
WAGYU="0.5.0 (Internal)"

Cheers

Karsten