[postgis-users] [postgis-devel] Error Upgrading PostGIS 2.5.4 to 3.1.2

Sandro Santilli strk at kbt.io
Fri May 12 03:13:29 PDT 2023

On Tue, May 09, 2023 at 03:59:13PM +0530, Nikhil Shetty wrote:

> I installed 3.1.5 but we are still having the same issue when upgrading
>
> dbname=# alter extension postgis update ;
[...]
> ERROR: cannot drop function st_distance(geography,geography) because other
> objects depend on it
> DETAIL: materialized view <schemaname>.<viewname> depends on function

Interesting, did you edit the error log to omit <schemaname> and
<viewname> or is that hiding coming from PostgreSQL itself ?

This would be worth a ticket to think about ways to handle it, but the
message is pretty clear: PostGIS deprecated a function:

  st_distance(geography, geography)

But your database is using it in the definition of a materialized view
(which one is hidden).

We do have code in place to handle deprecations but this specific
function is missing the encantation to be handled properly. Filing
a ticket to https://trac.osgeo.org/postgis will help.

--strk;