[OSRS-PROJ] projection formula?

Chris Jessee cj8n at virginia.edu
Wed Oct 22 08:55:37 PDT 2003

Hi,

I'm involved in a project that aims to offer an online tool with basic
GIS functionality as follows:

User mouse movement gives realtime lat lon readout.
A measure tool provides distance and angle measure between two points.
Point coverage can be loaded from external DB and plotted to a graphic
base map.

The tool will be built in Macromedia Flash. Implementing these features
on a geographic coordinate system is relatively easy as this demo shows.
http://jefferson.village.virginia.edu/salem/maps/
click the map on the left.
Flash player plug-in required.
We ruled out many off the shelf products due to poor visual quality.

The trouble begins when we try to use a base map in a
Lambert_Conformal_Conic projection. The specifics of the projection are
at the end of this email. To implement the functionality noted above I
have 2 choices: re-project the map into a Geographic Coordinate system
or dynamically calculate the difference between rectilinear screen
space and the conic projection. On the first option I'm also
considering a Platte Carre or Equidistant Cylindrical projection as
this should be easier to plot lat lon. Any thoughts on what a
appropriate Geographic Coordinate system might be to minimize visual
difference with Lambert_Conformal_Conic? On the second option, can
anyone point to a resource for formulas to convert
Lambert_Conformal_Conic to Platte Carre or GCS_North_American_1983?
I'll need the formula's since it all has to be implemented inside Flash
to get the user realtime feedback.

Coordinate system specifics

NAD_1983_Massachusetts_Mainland
Lambert_Conformal_Conic