[OSRS-PROJ] Re: [Thuban-list] projects.h

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Sep 3 05:54:39 PDT 2003

Jan-Oliver Wagner wrote:
> On Wed, May 14, 2003 at 03:36:02PM +0200, Bernhard Herzog wrote:
>
>>Frank Warmerdam <warmerdam at pobox.com> writes:
>>
>>>I was wondering why thuban depends on projects.h?  The current theory is that
>>>proj_api.h is the "public" include file for PROJ.4, and projects.h should not
>>>be required by modern PROJ.4 applications that don't reach in and use private
>>>information from the library.
>>
>>I can't remember why, but I'd guess it's because at least some of the
>>documentation (PROJ.4.3.pdf) says to use projects.h.
>

> the guess is true: See page 23 of file PROJ.4.3.ps.
>
> The projects.h file is installed into the public include
> directories. If it shouldn't be used anymore, it shouldn't be
> installed also.
> Thus, proj installation procedure should be adapted accordingly.
> Frank W.: What do you think?

Jan / Bernhard,

I am not in a position to update the old PROJ documentation so I can't change
references in it.  Hopefully at some point we will have comprehensive new
documentation.  The pj_init.3 man page *has* been updated to describe the
modern approach.

In the meantime, as I mentioned, applications should just use proj_api.h
unless they need some internal information available in projects.h.  I will
continue to install projects.h by default in order to provide backwards
compatibility for applications setup to use the traditional PROJ include file.

Best regards,