[Proj] Geocentric vs. Geodetic latitude

George Percivall percivall at gsfc.nasa.gov
Wed Apr 28 07:33:48 PDT 2004

Frank,

The two definitions are consistent with my experience as well.

Coming from a background in satellite data I was familiar with "latitude" as
your geocentric latitude in contrast to your client's experience.  In the
case when you set the ellipsoid equal to a sphere, the two definitions
define the same angle.

During the development of ISO 19111 this was discussed. The editors of 19111
were geodesists and objected to my recommendation to include a geocentric
coordinate system.  The title of ISO 19111 is "Geographic Information -
spatial referencing by coordinates".

The OGC work to implement and extend ISO 19111 includes geocentric
coordinate reference systems.  The relevant OGC document is "OGC Abstract
Specification Topic 2."  Here is the latest public version:
http://www.opengis.org/docs/03-073r1.zip

Whether both angles should be "latitudes" may be a topic of discussion.  The
OGC document uses a spherical coordinate reference system with two angles
and a radius.  It does not specify that one of the angles is latitude:
omission or intentional?

Regards,
George
George Percivall
- Principal Engineer, Geospatial Interoperability Office, NASA
   percivall at gsfc.nasa.gov
- Director, The Geospatial Interoperability Group, GST, Inc.
   percivall at gst.com