[Proj] Dataset mismatch?

Jarrett L. Redd jarrett_l_redd at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 29 21:23:05 PST 2006

Ed,

Indeed, the datum conversion was never the problem.  Instead, it was a faulty
assumption on my part.  I assumed that the skew between the dataset projections
was negligable on such a small area when it fact it is quite significant.  By
skew, I mean that if you project a square from one dataset into the other
dataset, you will not get exactly a square.  Therefore, if you just perform a
normal bi-nodal interpolation, you will get a significant error.  But if you
account for a 2D skew with a quad-nodal interpolation, then the error goes
away.  This is why the error vanished when I started translating every point
directly.  FYI, if you interpolate from just the 4 corners of the quad versus
hundreds of internal points, you get a max position difference of around 2.5
feet, just as you predicted.  This is obviously way below the DRG 24k
resolution and can be ignored.  Another interesting thing is that the 1/3 arc
second elevation data plots around 1.5m low on the topo maps.  That is, the
plotted contour lines are always just below the topo contour lines.  Since I
only care about slopes, lifting everything 1.5m makes them line up very nicely.

Thanks again to everyone for their help.  I think this tool is going to save
some lives once it gets out into the field.  At that time, I will be releasing
the source so that it can continue to be modified as avalanche prediction
models improve.

-Jarrett