[Proj] Converting Mercator Meters to Degrees

Mikael Rittri Mikael.Rittri at carmenta.se
Fri Feb 2 03:57:07 PST 2007

I suspect your direct formula doesn't use the appropriate value for the
Earth radius.

CP>   longitude = (MMEasting / 6356752.3142) * 57.295779513082322;
CP>   OR longitude = (easting / earthRadius) * RadToDeg;

That value looks like some kind of average earth radius for a spherical
earth model.
But I think you must use the equatorial radius of the WGS84 ellipsoid,
which is

   6378137.0 meters

see, for example, http://home.online.no/~sigurdhu/WGS84_Eng.html

Best regards,