[Proj] Re: Proj Digest, Vol 51, Issue 2

Andrew Williams AWilliams at rapidmap.com
Tue Aug 12 19:48:42 PDT 2008

Neil,
Just chiming in to see if I can assist. Lat Long to UTM is very familiar territory form me.

Just looking at your command line these no reason for proj4 to return negative values.

For typical UTM projections the standard zones are 6 degrees wide all around the world. Often they are numbered. Increasing East and West from Greenwich eg 0-6 degrees is Zone 1 etc.

When using Proj the lon_0 represents the central meridian of a zone. So the lon_0 for Zone 1 is 3. Think of this as the vertical axis of a graph. Lat_0 is typically the equator eg 0 degree. Think of this as the horizontal axis of a graph.

Your points fall into Zone 5 between longitudes 24 and 30 in the Northern Hemishpere.

So by nominating a lon_0 (correctly) of 27 degrees and by omitting the lat_0 so defaulting to 0 degrees your points fall on the positive/positive quadrant. The formulae that produces UTM will return positive values.

Often in the mapping industry we try NOT TO return negative values. The way we do this and is supported by proj4 is the use of false origins. The parameters x_0 and y_0 are used for this purpose.

In Australia being South of the equator and using UTM the negative latitudes produce "Northings" and any longitude West of the Central Meridian produces negative "Eastings" To make them positive we define a false origin 10 million metres South of the Central Meridian/Equator(True) origin and 500,000 metres West of the true origin. That way all our Eastings and Northings come out positive.

In your case I can't determine why you expect/want negative Eastings, but perhaps the false origin may help.

Regards
Andrew