[Proj] lat/long to northing/easting and back again

Gerald I. Evenden geraldi.evenden at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 08:04:41 PDT 2009

On Monday 16 March 2009 8:37:30 am Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-03-16 at 13:38 +0200, support.mn at elisanet.fi wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > how about using pj_inv() in the proj.4 library?
>
> OK. But does that do an inverse of all projections? I seem to recall a
> discussion a few months ago about this. IIRC, not all inverse
> calculations has the same accuracy. In fact, I have some flexibility in
> which forward calculation is done: it will only be used internally.
> Externally, all will be WGS84 lat/longs.

I tremble at the thought of getting into this thread but here goes:

First, interpolating positions from easting/northing values is shaky and
accuracy of such efforts is highly dependent upon the distance between points
used in the operation.

RECOMENDATION/REQUIREMENT: Doing this operation requires someone who is
familiar with projections (or at least the one selected) and their proper use
and limitations.

Secondly, before starting on this project check if the projection selected has
an inverse.  Fairly easy to do: 1) do a forward and 2) see if the inverse of
the just computed forward x/y executes and returns the original lat/lon.

Not too complicated.