[Proj] Cosmetic latitudes, and the diacritics of Josef Krovak and others

Mikael Rittri Mikael.Rittri at carmenta.com
Fri Mar 20 08:52:21 PDT 2009

Gerald,
you wrote:

> The only legitimate use of lat_0 is when the location of mathematical
> origin is necessary to determine the overall character of the projection ...

Yes, I agree.

> In the case of normal cylindrical projections the "natural origin" is *always*
> at the equator and thus lat_0 is always 0 and omitted.

Yes, I think you are right. At least, I hope so, and I think EPSG Guidance Note 7.2
agrees with you.

But there are other kinds of projections where the lat_0 is cosmetic,
although it is common practice to let it be non-zero anyway.

For example, lat_0 is cosmetic in

 * Gauss-Krüger Transverse Mercator (I am not sure about Gauss-Schreiber),
 * Lambert Conformal Conic (2SP) (but not in Lambert Conformal Conic (1SP), EPSG-style).

(For LCC, I think lat_0 is cosmetic in Proj.4 with +proj=lcc, even in
 the one-standard-parallel case, since both lat_1 and lat_2 must be given
 even if they are equal. Right?)

In common practice, lat_0 is usually non-zero for LCC(2SP), and sometimes
non-zero for Transverse Mercator, too.  (I am not saying this is good,
just that many people are doing it.)

In EPSG terminology, lat_0 for Transverse Mercator is called "Latitude of Natural Origin",
while lat_0 for Lambert Conformal Conic (2SP) is called "Latitude of False Origin".
In Carmenta Engine, the lat_0 is always called the "CentralLatitude".

Your term "geographical origin offset" is perhaps better than "cosmetic", though.
Thanks!

Best Regards,
--
Mikael Rittri