[Proj] Geodesic distances away from the ellipsoid

Clifford J Mugnier cjmce at lsu.edu
Fri Mar 20 11:03:07 PDT 2009

Jay,

There is an old ESSA or NOAA publication that directly addressed "The Great Ellipse" and also included all the math for hyperbolic lattice computations as well as for Rho-Rho systems.  I don't remember the exact title, but it was mainly addressed to the Hydrographic Surveyor.  My guess is that's exactly what you are looking for.  It's somewhere in my office library on campus, but I won't get there until Monday.  Call me and remind me after 10:00 AM and I'll look it up, I think I know the bookcase it's in.  I'll bet John Stigant and Noel have a copy, too.

Cliff

Clifford J. Mugnier, C.P., C.M.S.
Past National Director (2006-2008),
Photogrammetric Applications Division
American Society for Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing
and
Chief of Geodesy,
CENTER FOR GEOINFORMATICS
Department of Civil Engineering
Patrick F. Taylor Hall 3223A
LOUISIANA STATE UNIVERSITY
Baton Rouge, LA  70803
Voice and Facsimile:  (225) 578-8536 [Academic]
Honorary Life Member of the
Louisiana Society of Professional Surveyors
Member Emeritus of the ASPRS
Member of the Americas Petroleum Survey Group
http://www.asprs.org/resources/GRIDS/