[Proj] datum matters

Noel Zinn ndzinn at comcast.net
Sun Mar 29 16:04:09 PDT 2009

daan,

Good!  And thanks for your clarification, with which I agree.  I am betwixt
and between on this issue.  Cartography is a marvelous entertainment in the
abstract that needn't be / shouldn't be encumbered with a datum.  However,
once culture is presented on the map (other than a cartoon coastline or some
such for reference), then the geodetic datum is critical.  In this era of
computers and GIS, the issue of small scale versus large scale is
irrelevant.  Before culture ever gets to a paper map where scale is
relevant, it lives forever in a database and can be re-presented at any
scale one might (mistakenly) desire.  That's not good.  So, I guess I agree
with you for cartoons, but not for real data.

Noel

  _____