[Proj] hammer parameters?

strebe at aol.com strebe at aol.com
Wed Jan 19 12:03:09 PST 2011

I have been assuming that someone who knows something about proj would speak up. I don’t know anything about proj. However, Snyder’s formulation of Hammer includes a W parameter which controls the amount of bending in the parallels. The standard Hammar uses W = 1/2. Eckert-Greiffendorf uses W=1/4.

Perhaps M is the horizontal compression/vertical exaggeration.

To achieve Briesemeister under these assumptions, you would set W = 1/2, M = 0.93541 (or perhaps its reciprocal), and the projection center to 45°N. So, again, though I know nothing about proj, I assume you will need “ob_tran”, which I infer to mean oblique transformation or somesuch.

 — daan Strebe
http://www.mapthematics.com