[Proj] Adding ETRS89 datum to proj?

Heiko Klein Heiko.Klein at met.no
Tue Mar 1 00:32:24 PST 2011

Hi,

the ETRS89 datum gets more and more important for Europeans, since it is
a EU / INSPIRE proposal to use that datum for all data. I've seen the
discussion about the ETRS89 datum definition for the EPSG codes on
http://trac.osgeo.org/proj/ticket/11

Wouldn't it be a good idea to add the ETRS89 datum to 'proj -ld'? I
usually only use the +datum parameter, if any, but have never used
'towgs' before.

I haven't worked so much with the proj code, but as far as I can see,
adding the 'ETRS89' datum would just require a line like

"ETRS89","towgs84=0,0,0","GRS80", "European Terrestrial Reference System
1989",

in http://trac.osgeo.org/proj/browser/trunk/proj/src/pj_datums.c

Best regards,

Heiko