[Proj] forward/inverse projection logic for ob_tran

Davide Cesari dcesari at arpa.emr.it
Wed Nov 21 23:54:23 PST 2012

Hello, after a long pause, I come back to this thread of using proj with
the so-called rotated lat/lon coordinates, used mainly in Numerical
Weather Prediction models.
	I think I have found a cleaner solution, i.e. using proj for going from
the geographic space to the "projected" space (which in this case is
still a spherical polar coordinate system) and invproj for the opposite
task and not the other way round. For this purpose it is just necessary
to set the parameters in a different way in order to invert the
transformation, which is not difficult (assuming that previously o_lon_p
and o_lat_p were interpreted as the coordinates of north pole of
rotation and lon_0=180):

o_lat_p remains the same (= lat of rotated N pole)
o_lon_p=180+lon_0=360=0
lon_0=180+o_lon_p (= 180 + lon of rotated N pole)

	So in the case previously indicated by Hermann the correct
transformation using invproj would be:

invproj -f "%.6f" -m 57.2957795130823 \
  +proj=ob_tran +o_proj=latlon \
  +o_lon_p=0 +o_lat_p=39.25 +lon_0=18

which gives the expected results. Of course the same parameters apply to
forward proj.

	If anybody is going to try this feature, please report any result.

	Best regards, Davide

--
Servizio IdroMeteoClima - ARPA Emilia Romagna
  E-mail:    dcesari at arpa.emr.it
  Home page: http://www.webalice.it/o.drofa/davide/
  Address:   ARPA-SIM, Viale Silvani 6, 40122 Bologna, Italy