[Proj] proj on Windows: mini howto for Cygwin

Marco Atzeri marco.atzeri at gmail.com
Fri May 4 23:45:26 PDT 2018

On 5/5/2018 7:45 AM, Tobias Wendorff wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> since "proj" uses OSGeo4W to release Windows builds, some users are
> disappointed since OSGeo4W hasn't updated this library for quote a
> while. Since I wanted to do some tests with latest proj, I had to
> compile it for myself. Perhaps you're interested in the steps needed.
>
> I've used a standard default "Cygwin" installation on Windows 7.
> In addition to the base ones, you also need these packages:
> autogen, automake, gcc-core, libtool, make
>
> You also need to pull the release from GIT or get the tar.gz archive.
> In the tar.gz, "autogen.sh" is missing. You can grep it from GIT.
>
> After starting cygwin, you can just build it like this:
> ./autogen.sh
> ./configure (add a prefix if needed)
> make (add -j for multicore building)
> make install
>
> You don't need to "make install", you can run tools like "cs2cs" from
> "src/" for testing propose: "cd src" and "./cs2cs --version"
>
> HTH
> Tobias

Hi Tobias,
proj is already a package available in cygwin
with 5.0.1 as last release

https://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin-announce/2018-04/msg00002.html

Using proj-datumgrid-1.7.tar.gz the build passed the make check

total:  3 tests succeeded,  0 tests skipped,  0 tests failed.
total: 27 tests succeeded,  0 tests skipped,  0 tests failed.
total: 1315 tests succeeded,  0 tests skipped,  0 tests failed.
total:  4 tests succeeded,  0 tests skipped,  0 tests failed.
total: 30 tests succeeded,  0 tests skipped,  0 tests failed.
total:  9 tests succeeded,  0 tests skipped,  0 tests failed.
total: 49 tests succeeded,  0 tests skipped,  0 tests failed.
total: 23 tests succeeded,  0 tests skipped,  0 tests failed.
total: 69 tests succeeded,  0 tests skipped,  0 tests failed.
total: 177 tests succeeded,  0 tests skipped,  0 tests failed.
total: 57 tests succeeded,  0 tests skipped,  0 tests failed.
total: 69 tests succeeded,  0 tests skipped,  0 tests failed.
total: 69 tests succeeded,  0 tests skipped,  0 tests failed.
total: 60 tests succeeded,  0 tests skipped,  0 tests failed.
total: 30 tests succeeded,  0 tests skipped,  0 tests failed.
total: 30 tests succeeded,  0 tests skipped,  0 tests failed.
total: 69 tests succeeded,  0 tests skipped,  0 tests failed.
total: 36 tests succeeded,  0 tests skipped,  0 tests failed.
total: 39 tests succeeded,  0 tests skipped,  0 tests failed.
total: 39 tests succeeded,  0 tests skipped,  0 tests failed.
total: 15 tests succeeded,  0 tests skipped,  0 tests failed.
total: 15 tests succeeded,  0 tests skipped,  0 tests failed.
total: 81 tests succeeded,  0 tests skipped,  0 tests failed.
total: 105 tests succeeded,  0 tests skipped,  0 tests failed.
total: 42 tests succeeded,  0 tests skipped,  0 tests failed.