[PROJ] WGS84 / Web Mercator discussion in Australia

Chris Crook ccrook at linz.govt.nz
Sat Aug 3 00:21:43 PDT 2019

I'm following the discussions on the PROJ list with great interest.  New Zealand also has a history of grappling with a dynamic datum and with complex deformation, so this question as well as those around dynamic/static datums are of great interest.  While I've not had the time to respond at length on the NZ experience I very much appreciate this discussion so thank you.

However FWIW Nic Donnelly did some work a while ago summarising the relationship of WGS84 realisations which is present in  https://www.linz.govt.nz/system/files_force/media/file-attachments/donnelly-development-of-modern-geodetic-system-in-nz.ppt?download=1

We also had long discussions with our Australian colleagues around terminology, especially dynamic/static.  In the end these seemed too ambiguous (relative to what), and too imprecise (there are more than two options).  Instead we found it more useful to use terms such as "earth-fixed", "plate-fixed".  However it is hard to break these habits.

Chris Crook