[PROJ] Proposal for a geodetic deformation model format

Martin Desruisseaux martin.desruisseaux at geomatys.com
Thu Dec 5 01:51:50 PST 2019

Hello Chris

Thanks for the proposal, I had a quick look on it. The explanation about
rational, required metadata, etc. are very nice. My first question would
be who is the intended audience. Is it a proposal for the PROJ/GDAL
community, or e.g. a starting point for standardization at OGC? The
reason why I ask is because in my understanding, the choice of GeoTIFF
format for PROJ/GDAL is based on pragmatic reasons specific to that
community (close connection between GDAL and GeoTIFF since they are
maintained by the same peoples; more familiarity with GeoTIFF than with
HDF5 and CF-Conventions). They are valid reasons for PROJ/GDAL, but if
the target audience is wider then I would suggest to reconsider since,
if it was not for PROJ/GDAL convenience, I think HDF5 + CF-Conventions
(i.e. NetCDF 4) would be more appropriate for those kind of data.

However a "GeoTIFF versus HDF5" discussion could be left for a separated
thread. The vast majority of the proposal document would still apply in
both formats, except the discussion about single versus multiple files
which would not be needed anymore. Some attributes like "extent_east",
"extent_north" would be revisited in a HDF5 format because they overlap
(but are not identical) with standard CF-Conventions attributes, but the
ideas would still the same.

     Regards,

         Martin