[PROJ] Proposal for a geodetic deformation model format

Brian Shaw brian.shaw at noaa.gov
Thu Dec 5 16:00:26 PST 2019

Thanks Evan for the questions and Chris for the answers.

I know that at NGS we are working to solve how to implement many of the
same challenges as LINZ except for all the US and its territories.  NGS
plans to essentially have two models to handle deformation with an Inter
Frame Velocity Model (IFVM) handling horizontal shifts and a Dynamic
Geoid (DGEOID) to handle geopotential (vertical) shifts.  I know that
New Zealand deals with earthquakes a bit more than we do but California,
Alaska and the Pacific have many interesting events and challenges.
Earlier this year the China Lake earthquake in California moved the
local surface 12 feet or more in some places but thankfully it was not
in a populated area with significant infrastructure.  Such major event
shifts occasionally happen mostly in California, Alaska or the Pacific
but we are working to create a system that allows us to handle such
challenges.

Either way Im glad this is getting discussed since in the future system
of the US time of observations or "epoch" will be essential and the
coordinates you collect will be good for the day of observation.  The
new paradigm acknowledges that the world is dynamic and constantly
changing and so will coordinates over time. This will make the metadata
of when a coordinate was determined *essential*, particularly if you are
trying to forecast where a physical place is moving or where it has been.

While I havent got my colleagues to embrace the term since its a
mouthful, I have been calling the future coordinates spatiotemporal
coordinates.  I think we at NGS need to talk a lot more with LINZ about
the grids, models and even database schemas.

Cheers
Brian

Brian Shaw
Geodesist