[PROJ] Serious confusion regarding towgs or not...!

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Tue Dec 17 03:22:11 PST 2019

> Hm. I'm now considering just dropping all code from QGIS which relates
> to handling towgs and BoundCRS, and leaving the responsibility
> entirely with GDAL and PROJ to insert or ignore TOWGS wherever it's
> desirable/wanted.
>
> From a QGIS perspective I think the biggest downside of doing this
> would be that many CRSes would be shown as "custom" user crses,
> instead of via an auth/code identifier. But the alternative is that we
> end up with a lot of logic relating to boundcrs downstream, and that
> makes me nervous.

Ah ah, that you rely entirely on PROJ to do always the "right thing" makes me
equally nervous :-)
Perhaps QGIS when ingesting a WKT1 string with a TOWGS84[] or a PROJ.4 string
with a +towgs84 should ask the user: "do you really want to use that precise
transformation to WGS84 (which will thus make it the pivot CRS for datum
transformations) or just use the underlying CRS and being proposed with
several possibilities when transforming to other datums ?" Of course most
users will have no clue at answering that question... Sometimes users
implictly relied on the more or less arbitrary +towgs84 values that were
picked up previously, and they will suffer from misalignment if using other
transformations. So perhaps there should be a different behaviour if opening
old QGIS projects than if creating new ones ? Just brainstorming