[PROJ] proj_angular_input

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Sat Feb 16 10:04:08 PST 2019

On samedi 16 février 2019 06:57:10 CET Paul Ramsey wrote:
> So, I create a PJ thusly:
>
> pj = proj_create_crs_to_crs(NULL, "EPSG:4326", "EPSG:3005", NULL);
>
> The from is clearly angular, the to is an albers projection in NAD83.
>
> But
>
> proj_angular_input(pj, PJ_FWD)
>
> Does not return true?
>
> Am I misunderstanding the meaning of proj_angular_input or of
> forward/backward?

Hum, I guess we have some confusion here about the semantics of
proj_angular_input() and what the "new code" I added those months does.

proj_angular_input() returns true if the expected values are in radian, but
the pipeline returned by your above proj_create_crs_to_crs() invokation is

+proj=pipeline +step +proj=axisswap +order=2,1 +step +proj=unitconvert
+xy_in=deg +xy_out=rad +step +proj=aea +lat_0=45 +lon_0=-126 +lat_1=50
+lat_2=58.5 +x_0=1000000 +y_0=0 +ellps=GRS80

so it does the deg -> rad conversion, which causes the pipeline to not expect
radians, and thus return false in proj_angular_input()

Kristian, any idea what we should do ? The doc mentions "Check if a operation
expects angular input.", but we have code we really expect angular to mean
radian, such as in the proj utility that uses is to to deg to rad conversions.