[PROJ] Do you use Chebyshev polynomial coeffiecient approximations in proj?

Kristian Evers kreve at sdfe.dk
Fri Jan 18 23:35:56 PST 2019

Removed: https://github.com/OSGeo/proj.4/pull/1226

/Kristian

On 15 Jan 2019, at 22:41, Even Rouault <even.rouault at spatialys.com<mailto:even.rouault at spatialys.com>> wrote:

Projections
aren’t that expensive to compute by modern standards so there is
simply no need to approximate them.

Just to react on this, and not on the Chebyshev specific case, coordinate
transformation can be a significant CPU eater. For example in the case of
gdalwarp, a piece-wise affine approximation is used by default to save CPU
cycles and avoid doing coordinate transformation for potentially billion of
pixels.

So I’d like to remove the
functionality. There’s no need to waste ressources on maintaining
code and documentation that in all likelihood is not used anymore.

Before I go ahead and remove the code I want to check with the list
if anyone still has a need for this? If no-one responds positively to that
I am going to remove the code at the end of this week.

No objection from me. Never used it. Didn't know that it existed.