[PROJ] [gdal-dev] Static/Dynamic datum problems

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Mon Jun 24 04:18:51 PDT 2019

Thanks for all the feedback so far.

For those CCed who are not on the email list, I suggest joining here:

You can see other's comments in the archives here:
https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/proj/2019-June/thread.html

Nick Brown has provided significant feedback to my original version of
the doc:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/15uBX2qICODRkiHXeksT0zEy6TuysanIxuc4anV0o5F0/
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/15uBX2qICODRkiHXeksT0zEy6TuysanIxuc4anV0o5F0/edit#>

* He has provided clarifications on terminology which is good. But the
document is a bit of a mess now. I'll give others a few days to add
comments, and then I will have another go a cleaning it up.

* Nick, you have raised concerns about "WGS84 Web Mercator" being a poor
choice for accurate mapping. While this may be valid, I urge we treat
that concern as a separate issue. Solving it will likely require
significantly more inertia which has potential to derail the
static/dynamic map alignment problems we have with GDA94/GDA2020/WGS84.

* Others, thanks for the feedback, ideas, and links to source material.
I'm expecting we will have quite a bit more material to cover.

--
Cameron Shorter
Technology Demystifier

M +61 (0) 419 142 254