[PROJ] Release schedule between version 6.0.0 and 7.0.0

Kristian Evers kreve at sdfe.dk
Tue Mar 5 05:49:00 PST 2019

All,

I have prepared a release schedule for the coming year. As always this is managed on GitHub [0]. For convenience, here's an overview of the planned releases:

6.0.1                   May 1st 2019
6.0.2                   July 1st 2019
6.1.0                   September 1st 2019
6.1.1                   November 1st 2019
6.1.2                   January 1st 2020
6.1.3                   March 1st 2020
7.0.0                   March 1st 2020

Since the 6.0.0 release introduced massive amounts of new code I expect more bugs to be revealed than usually, hence the higher frequency of bug fix releases (every two months, unless a minor version release is scheduled). Note that 6.1.3 and 7.0.0 is planned for release on the same day. Since 7.0.0 will remove the proj_api.h header I expect that version 6 will be seen in the wild for quite some time after the 7.0.0 release and have therefore scheduled an additional bug fix release of the 6.1 branch. The maintenance status of the 6.1 branch should be re-evaluated once we are close to the release of 7.0.0. It may be necessary to issue a few more bug fix release based on the 6.1 branch until downstream projects has moved away from using the proj_api.h API.

The development strategy will be the same as we have used for the last couple of years: All changes are committed to the master branch and bug fixes will be cherry-picked into the relevant maintenance branch. As a consequence of this, development on version 7 cannot start before September 1st. This should not be a problem as the planned breaking changes for 7.0 at this time only consist of removing of proj_api.h - a task that is relatively easy to perform.

Please let me know if you have any comments or suggestions for changes.

/Kristian

[0] https://github.com/OSGeo/proj.4/milestones?direction=asc&sort=due_date&state=open