[PROJ] [GRASS-dev] GRASS GIS + PROJ 6 + GDAL 2.5

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com
Fri Mar 8 08:01:57 PST 2019

https://r-forge.r-project.org/scm/viewvc.php/pkg/src/proj_info6.cpp?view=mar
> > kup&root=rgdal
> > > However, there are plenty of messages such as: "proj_as_proj_string:
> > > Unsupported conversion method: Lambert Conic Conformal (West
> >
> > Orientated)". I
> >
> > > haven't installed GRASS trunk with PROJ6, so I can't see whether
g.proj -l
> > > also sees the same messages.
> >
> > I get the same messages with g.proj, but no error code from PROJ error
> > handlers.
> >
> > > If it does, maybe we could ask on the proj list
> >
> > yes, we should ask. For now g.proj is ignoring those codes for which no
> > proj string can be retrieved.
>
> I'm not sure what the question is exactly :-)

My question is, what should GRASS do with a SRS without proj string? The
best answer is probably: use WKT instead of a proj string. But most of the
GRASS code uses (for historical reasons) some form of proj syntax, also to
store projection info for a GRASS location. If there is no proj string,
GRASS thinks there is no SRS and falls back to a generic xy system which is
not always correct.

Markus M