[PROJ] [EXTERNAL] Re: Proj 6 API questions

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Thu Mar 21 01:09:17 PDT 2019

Trent,

thanks, this was helpful. So the situation was that QGIS database and old
https://svn.osgeo.org/metacrs/sr.org/srsbrowser/data/IAU2000.wkt incorrectly
used the IAU2000_Semimajor and IAU2000_Semiminor to create a bi-axial
ellipsoid for bodies where the three axis values where different. Which got
fixed by
https://github.com/USGS-Astrogeology/GDAL_scripts/blob/master/
OGC_IAU2000_WKT_v2/IAU2000_v2.wkt and what ESRI has picked up, which uses a
sphere with IAU2000_Mean instead.

> We are also working toward providing these "IAU" codes to GDAL.

You meant PROJ, right ? ;-) GDAL has no longer any CRS database now.

> Unfortunately, this will in addition to any planetary Esri codes already
> supported.

There could be several options:
- remove the ESRI definitions since the ellipsoid they define are not used by
other objects
- do not touch the ESRI definitions, and add IAU next to it
- (more involved, would require database schema change, and likely software
logic too to make something useful of it). Import IAU, and create a link from
ESRI definitions to IAU ones (when identical/compatible)