[PROJ] [EXTERNAL] Re: Proj 6 API questions

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Fri Mar 22 03:14:46 PDT 2019

> Well - as soon as I'm done porting QGIS to proj6, it will be possible
> for users to create projects using these ESRI:xxxx ellipsoid codes.
> Could they be deprecated instead of removed? That would avoid any
> possible regression for users.

OK, we'll keep them then.

<cultural_question>
I'm interested to know why in QGIS an ellipsoid code is directly manipulated,
or stored. I would have though QGIS would only manipulate higher level objects
like CRS, and perhaps query their ellipsoid parameters for some computations.
This is what I wondered while reviewing https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/pull/9557
with QgsEllipsoidUtils offering API starting with an ellipsoid name.
</cultural_question>