[PROJ] [EXTERNAL] Re: Proj 6 API questions

Kristian Evers kreve at sdfe.dk
Thu Mar 28 10:27:21 PDT 2019

> On 28 Mar 2019, at 18:02, Lesparre, Jochem <Jochem.Lesparre at kadaster.nl> wrote:
>
> Kristian,
>
> I have the feeling that when we continue with what you call nit-picking, we might come to a better solution than either of us forsaw at the beginning.

Don't get me wrong, I am enjoying this discussion immensely! I absolutely agree that there’s a good chance that a better solution is found when the problem is discussed properly.

> You are right that for a generic solution the datum transformation might be a bit tricky. The solution you proposed is ok, but could be a bit confusing to users.
> It might be clearer for users to give them the choice to compute distances in either the original CRS (default) or transformed to ITRS or any another CRS of choice.

I am proposing a better and more robust default solution than what is currently available in QGIS. I am all for a highly configurable setup but that is not available today. Personally I would be pleased to be able to twist and turn the knobs but I am not sure that is the best option for a GIS user who is not aware of the intricasies of geodesy.

> In that case it would make more sense to give the cartesian distance (for a projected or geocentric CRS) instead and only give ellisoidal distances for a geographic CRS.

I disagree. I think that will be the source of many very wrong distance and area calculations. But this is more of a user experience problem than a geodetic problem.

> That would give the user full controll; e.g. when computing the distance between points in a projected legacy CRS, by selecting the appropriate CRS (s)he can get: the planar distance in the projection plane, the ellispodal distance in the legacy CRS, the ellispoidal distance in ITRS with GRS80, the cartesian distance in geocentric coordinates (in ITRS), or any other option (s)he prefers.

Again, this would be cool to have, but I am not sure that it appeals to that many GIS user. I have seen something similar to this in a commercial GIS and I am glad that I had some knowledge about the topic beforehand, otherwise I would not have been able to figure it out. Sensible defaults should in my opinion be offered out of the box and not be hidden behind a configurable switchboard. Luckliy those two options are not mutually exclusive. Maybe some day we will see both :-)

/Kristian