[PROJ] Newbie question on projections

Alan Snow alansnow21 at gmail.com
Thu May 23 10:54:27 PDT 2019

Depending on your end goal, I would recommend using GDAL to reproject 2D
data. This will resample your data from a 2D grid in one projection to a 2D
grid in a new projection.
https://www.gdal.org/gdalwarp.html

If you are a Python user, I would recommend:
https://corteva.github.io/rioxarray/html/examples/reproject.html
https://rasterio.readthedocs.io/en/stable/topics/reproject.html

Hopefully this helps,
Alan

On Thu, May 23, 2019 at 12:42 PM Paul Ramsey <pramsey at cleverelephant.ca>
wrote:

> Proj will convert double arrays of longitude/latitudes into Mollweide, if
> that’s the question? It’ll also convert into a whole zoo of other
> interesting global projections, if you’re looking for alternatives. It can
> be called as a library https://proj4.org/development/quickstart.html
>
> On May 23, 2019, at 10:14 AM, Daniel Suson <djsuson at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I have a project that takes spherical maps (either Terrestrial or
> astronomical) as its input. The inputted data is stored in a "flat" 360x180
> (scaled up or down depending upon the resolution) 2-D array. As an early
> step in the process I then display the map in one of the basic projections
> (currently Mollweide, but I would like to support others). I am hoping that
> I can use PROJ4 to transform this into another 2-D array that can then be
> passed into the display routines.
>
>    1. Is this something that PROJ4 can do?
>    2. If so, can this capability be called as a library function from
>    within the program?
>    3. If not, is there another library I should consider to support this
>    need?
>
> Thank you for your help with this.

Alan Snow