[PROJ] PSC Motion: require SQLite 3.11 as minimum version

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Thu Nov 7 07:06:46 PST 2019

On jeudi 7 novembre 2019 08:52:48 CET Howard Butler wrote:
> +0. I'd like to hear from the packagers on this. We're already making life
> complicated for them, and SQLite is a frequently referenced dependency.
> Does 3.11 pick up common RHEL/Centos installations? Android/iOS?

This was triggered by someone trying on RHEL 7 that offers SQLite 3.7.17. So
the solution for them would also to have a backport of a more recent SQLite
version. As SQLite is quite backward compatible, I don't think this shouldn't
be an issue.

The alternative to this would be to modify our implementation to work decently
with older SQLite versions. But on a quick look, this doesn't seem to be
doable without writing horrible SQL requests in the code. I'm not even sure
this is doable for all requests. Or perhaps it would require creating extra
materialized table(s) instead of requesting a view which is a union of several
tables. I'm not super enthusiastic about that.