[PROJ] Call for review on RFC 4 text: Remote access to grids and GeoTIFF grids

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Tue Nov 26 08:47:23 PST 2019

Hi Even,

On 2019-11-26 12:15 PM, Even Rouault wrote:
> Jeff,
>
>> I would like this RFC to include effort to improve the documentation on
>> which grids should be installed (it is very confusing how
>> 'proj-datumgrid-latest' differs from world, europe, oceania,
>> northamerica, I always assume, like many others I bet, that -latest
>> includes europe+oceania+northamerica+world).
>
> Can you point exactly in the documentation where would you want some
> clarification ?

That is difficult because the datumgrid information seems split into
many pages.

- this page makes no mention of the difference between
proj-datumgrid-latest, world, etc.
https://proj.org/resource_files.html#external-resources

- install doc gives a little more info on which grids to install, but
only for Conda, and doesn't link to the above page or Github
https://proj.org/install.html

- links exist to the OSGeo download page, but there was no explanation
of what 'proj-datumgrid-latest' contains anywhere
(https://download.osgeo.org/proj/)

- I think most users will go directly to Github  and be overwhelmed by
all of the different regions and world and proj-datumgrid-XX files
(https://github.com/OSGeo/proj-datumgrid/releases)

Now you might say 'well jeff fix the docs, they are open' but honestly I
don't know the answers to the above points.  Maybe I'm looking at too
many pages (that I mentioned above) and should only focus on the
README.md (https://github.com/OSGeo/proj-datumgrid), but again, that
page should then be linked from the main PROJ site I believe.

Sorry for my confusion!

-jeff

--
Jeff McKenna