[PROJ] EPSG (was: Code of conduct)

Martin Desruisseaux martin.desruisseaux at geomatys.com
Fri Oct 18 10:39:38 PDT 2019

Note: my concern is only about EPSG dataset. Everything else in PROJ
look all clean for every parts I'm familiar with.

Le 18/10/2019 à 15:00, Howard Butler a écrit :

> Any activity from IOGP isn't going to change PROJ's project situation
> in regard to OSGeo incubation. While this is an issue to monitor, it
> isn't one to hold things up.

It depends if a graduation goal is to assert that PROJ is legally clean.
If yes, then I see this choice:

  * PROJ can redistribute EPSG dataset under EPSG Terms of Use.
  * If PROJ wants to relicense EPSG dataset (i.e. suppress EPSG Terms of
    Use and put MIT license in place, which is my understanding of
    ticket #2268 [1]), then we need IOGP explicit authorization. Most
    OpenSource licenses do not allow relicensing neither (except by the
    author); even the MIT license does not allow that (note: MIT allows
    sub-licensing, but this is different than re-licensing).

If resolving legal issues is not a graduation goal, then indeed my
remark is not relevant to the graduation process.

     Martin

[1] https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/ticket/2268