[PROJ] OSGeo incubation status

Kristian Evers kreve at sdfe.dk
Mon Sep 9 11:41:16 PDT 2019

All,

At the code sprint held in conjunction with the FOSS4G conference I put some more
work into the PROJ OSGeo Incubation checklist [0]. Since PROJ is already a well-
established project most of the details has been easy to fill out. The only two
things left need to left before the checklist is finished are

1. Provenance review and other copyright/license related things
2. A logo for the project

The provenance review is by far the most daunting task in the incubation process.
I have started the work already. The progress can be seen on [1]. Still missing
are the sections on the license status of the individual source files and the
section on copyright holders. The latter is easy to compile once the first is finished.

For the review of the license status of the individual files I have created a Google
spreadsheet to keep track of the information. It is linked in the Provence Review
Wiki-page. Everyone is able to suggest changes. I would like to encourage you all
to do so - it is a big list to go through by myself. Guidelines for how to fill out the list
can be found in the OSGeo Incubation Provenance Review wiki-page [2], but mostly
it is self-explanatory.

As part of the provenance review it is also asked if committers has signed a
“Contribution Agreement”. Currently we don’t have one. I am not sure if we need it,
but if so, can anyone link me to an existing one that can be used as a template for
PROJ?

As for the project logo, does anyone subscribing to this list have artistic skills? If so,
suggestions for a new logo would be appreciated :-)

I would also appreciate if someone familiar with the OSGeo Incubation process
would be willing to go through checklist in it’s current state and provide feedback.
There is almost certainly going to be mistakes in the material I have filled in so far.

/Kristian

[0] https://github.com/OSGeo/PROJ/wiki/Incubation-checklist
[1] https://github.com/OSGeo/PROJ/wiki/PROJ-Provenance-Review
[2] https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Code_Provenance_Review