[PROJ] OSGeo incubation status

Martin Desruisseaux martin.desruisseaux at geomatys.com
Tue Sep 10 05:48:59 PDT 2019

Le 10/09/2019 à 13:50, Sebastiaan Couwenberg a écrit :

> Unless PROJ already modifies the data and doesn't attribute it to the
> EPSG dataset. There is no epsg init file any more, there is proj.db now.

On the "PROJ already modifies the data" part, that fact that PROJ
rewrites EPSG tables in a slightly different database structure is not
the essential thing. The EPSG terms of use allows such conversions
provided that data are numerically equivalent. The proj.db file in PROJ
6 is (to my knowledge) compliant with this condition, which is a very
good thing.

On the "doesn't attribute it to the EPSG dataset" part, in my
understanding we are attributing those definitions to EPSG dataset as
long as we use the "EPSG" authority name in "EPSG::4326", or that the
documentation claims to support EPSG codes. But since PROJ 6 is
compliant, this is not a problem.

The issue is that EPSG wants all users downstream to continue to comply
to those conditions, which is why they want us to inform users. I'm not
a lawyer neither, but my understanding of discussions I have seen at
Apache and at OGC (including with IOGP staffs) is that packaging the
same data in a different format does not erase EPSG ownership on those data.

Of course this is only my point of view. But maybe a verification by
someone more familiar than me on legal topics would be desirable.

Regards,

    Martin