[PROJ] PROJ grid files CDN

Howard Butler howard at hobu.co
Fri Sep 13 08:34:01 PDT 2019

> On Sep 13, 2019, at 10:17 AM, Nikolaos Ves <vesnikos at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I understand that it is a different conversation but i cannot stop to wonder that it would be also wasted effort if down the road the CDN providers ask for a reasonable amount of money to sustain their services when all proj users use their resources to fetch grid files.

Fair point. I would think an organization like OSGeo could step forward (especially after we complete OSGeo project incubation) to provide the resources to cover in that situation.

> Technically, I am still trying to cope with the build changes proj brought to some frameworks/libraries, so as long it's **optional**, hey it's good to have ;)
>
> Out of curiosity, is there any other project with similar approach as the one suggested?

Many, if not most, of the popular JavaScript libraries use CDNs as their primary distribution mechanism with the network and storage resources contributed by the CDNs themselves. The Python project uses Fastly, for example. I don't think we would be treading any new ground with the approach.