[PROJ] A few PROJ Logo propositions

Thomas Knudsen knudsen.thomas at gmail.com
Mon Sep 16 22:47:49 PDT 2019

I am unconvinced (or actually rather strictly against) the “globe and
plane” style logo candidates: They focus too narrowly on the projection
side of things, which is already indicated quite clearly through the name
PROJ.

I kind of like 3C, with the phi and its shadow - the shadow somehow
indicating a “related but not identical reference frame”, i.e. a datum
shift.

I do, however, not like the shape of the phi (or actually “varphi”: phi is
the “O with bar strikethrough” often used to indicate a clock phase): The
very open-to-the-left varphi looks too much like the word “up”.

I would like the logo to indicate more clearly that geodesy is a
four-dimensional science, and the operations PROJ provide support that.

So perhaps something like 3C, but with the letters “P R O J” casting the
shadows “varphi lambda H t” - or for the sake of simplicity and
recognizability in small sizes: Just the four letters “varphi lambda H t”
on one line, and “P R O J” below that:

φλHt

PROJ

(where the phi was supposed to be a varphi)

It may be a challenge to make it work graphically, since varphi descends,
and lambda, H and t ascends - but I am sure this can be made to work by
someone more graphically skilled than myself.

/thomas