[PROJ] Vector/SIMD acceleration

Roger Oberholtzer roger.oberholtzer at gmail.com
Thu Apr 16 23:09:42 PDT 2020

I use proj in a real time context that is always looking for ways to
speed up anything. I would find this quite interesting.

I have also been curious what the speed difference is between the old
proj4 implementation and the newer implementation. In something like
Sweref99, as an example. Testing this in on my far too long to do
list.

On Thu, Apr 16, 2020 at 5:18 PM Even Rouault <even.rouault at spatialys.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> I've lately worked (again (*)) on a proof of concept of the Transverse Mercator forward transformation to use Intel SIMD instructions to transform several coordinate pairs simultaneously, potentially for use by the proj_trans_array() / proj_trans_generic() functions. Transverse Mercator is a very good candidate for that as it is quite expensive, and has few branches.
>

> The impact on the projection code is minimal, and the conversion of the original code was mostly straightforward, by using C++ templates and operator overloading: you mostly replace occurences of "double" by a templated type, and depending on how it is instanciated, it can expand to a single, 2, 4, 8, etc. doubles, either in a single or several SIMD registers. Optimizers do a good job at generating good assembly from that.
>

> SIMD instrinsincs are available for basic arithmetic operations and comparisons, but not for trigonometric (sin, cos, etc.) and other transcendent (exp, log, ...) functions that are often needed to implement projections, and are usually the computation bottlenecks.
>

> The SLEEF Vectorized Math Library (https://sleef.org/), using Boost License
>
> (~ MIT), provides such operations, and with very good accuracy (accuracy of 1 ULP for double precision). It is portable accross OS and supports different architectures.
>

> On my standalone prototype (outside of PROJ infrastructure, with just the forward TMerc code extracted), I get a 3.8x speedup with the AVX2 + FMA instruction sets, compared to a build with AVX2 + FMA enabled with the original non-vector implementation, and using SLEEF. This is when transforming 8 coordinate pairs at the same time. This 3.8x speed-up is close to the optimal 4 factor (AVX/AVX2 256bit vectors can store 4 doubles). Without SLEEF, the speedup is 1.35x
>
> I guess that with AVX-512 available, gains in the [4x, 8x[ range could be expected, but I haven't tested.
>

> With pure SSE2 that comes automatically with x86_64, I can get a 1.55x speed-up with SLEEF (optimal would be x2 due to the 128 bit SSE vectors). Without SLEEF, the speedup is 1.35x as well.
>

> I would expect similar gains on the reverse path of etmerc which has equivalent complexity. Snyder's tmerc, geographic <--> cartesian conversions, etc. would likely be other good candidates.
>

> SLEEF could be made an optional dependency of PROJ. When it is not available, the execution of trigonometric & transcendent functions is of course serialized, hence the reduced efficiency.
>

> I would expect the actual gains, once the needed changes to be able to integrate that in PROJ itself are done, to be less than what I got on the prototype, due to other overheads in code between the user call and the actual projection code. But there's probably improvements that could be done to reduce current overheads.

> [...]

Roger Oberholtzer