[PROJ] NOAA VDatum Tidal Grids and PROJ CDN

Howard Butler howard at hobu.co
Wed Dec 16 06:15:28 PST 2020

As it says in the first paragraph of https://cdn.proj.org/ <https://cdn.proj.org/> it is supported by the Amazon Public Datasets program. They graciously accepted our request for support after we described what the CDN would enable. An additional point that should be made about the CDN is at the very bottom of the page:

> Access logs to this resource are permanently deleted after one day, are not mirrored or stored, and are not publicly available. If this policy is not sufficient, users are encourage to mirror a local copy of the grid files and access them directly.

In short, if you ware worried about leaking sensitive location or processing information through your accesses to the CDN, you are encouraged to pull local copies with projsync and skip accessing the CDN from that point on.

IMO, NOAA seeking to put 12gb of specialized shift files into the CDN is *exactly* what we were hoping to have happen with the CDN project. They're simply too big to deliver via normal package, but the convenience the CDN can provide for users of these grids is substantial. I hope NOAA can close the loop with EPSG and participate in the OGC standardization effort that is ongoing with respect to deformation grids and their format as well.

Howard