[PROJ] WKT1 Vertical Perspective CRS regression

Jonathan Gale jgale at mathworks.com
Mon Dec 28 07:56:07 PST 2020

Hi PROJ list,

I'm not sure which list to report this since my initial issue was expressed through GDAL, but since the issue is reproducible in PROJ alone, I'll start here.  I've encountered a regression upgrading from PROJ 6.2.1 to 7.2.0 when using GDAL's GetEPSGGeogCS with the Vertical Perspective CRS expressed by ESRI: 54089. Based on an initial investigation, I think the issue is in WKT1:GDAL generation.

Using PROJ 6.2.1, I can do the following:

projinfo ESRI:54049 -o WKT1:GDAL
WKT1_GDAL:
PROJCS["World_Vertical_Perspective",
    GEOGCS["WGS 84",
        DATUM["WGS_1984",
            SPHEROID["WGS 84",6378137,298.257223563,
                AUTHORITY["EPSG","7030"]],
            AUTHORITY["EPSG","6326"]],
        PRIMEM["Greenwich",0],
        UNIT["Degree",0.0174532925199433]],
    PROJECTION["Vertical_Near_Side_Perspective"],
    PARAMETER["False_Easting",0],
    PARAMETER["False_Northing",0],
    PARAMETER["Longitude_Of_Center",0],
    PARAMETER["Latitude_Of_Center",0],
    PARAMETER["Height",35800000],
    UNIT["metre",1,
        AUTHORITY["EPSG","9001"]],
    AXIS["Easting",EAST],
    AXIS["Northing",NORTH],
    AUTHORITY["ESRI","54049"]]

But in PROJ 7.2.0, I get the following:

projinfo ESRI:54049 -o WKT1:GDAL
WKT1:GDAL string:
Error when exporting to WKT1:GDAL: Unsupported conversion method: Vertical Perspective

I'm aware of release notes for GDAL that impacted Vertical Perspective (and I haven't found any corresponding in PROJ), but I suspect the GDAL issue is rooted in PROJ too.

Thanks,
Jonathan