[PROJ] RFC4: last chance to comment before motion

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Fri Jan 3 13:32:33 PST 2020

> And possibly, just do a
> post-install, first run background task which bulk downloads the
> complete set of grids from the CDN so that they're available
> already...

This brute force approach can work (unless we reach gigabytes of
geodetic adjustment data :-))
I guess use cases where RFC4 will particular shine will be short-lived jobs
in the context of serverless computing.

> On a different note -- I'm finding it very difficult to find the RFC4
> proposal text. This appears to live only in the proj website contents
> in the rfc4 branch on your proj fork, so aren't actually available on
> the proj website (and googling proj rfc4 gives no useful results as a
> consequence). This seems a step back from the GDAL/trac RFC approach,
> where RFC text is available for widespread review on the GDAL page
> **prior** to the RFC PR merge. Is the approach used for RFC4 the plan
> for RFCs going forward?

GDAL no longer uses Trac for RFCs, so on the same line as PROJ. I do agree
with you that the current situation is slightly less convenient, as the
integration with Sphinx requires merging into  the official tree to have final
rendering. This is slightly complicated in PROJ case as proj.org is generated
from the current of the stable branch, so each time a change would be done,
that would require pushing into master + active branch, hence I'm differing
that until the doc is in its final state. We would probably need to have
some scratch area with the doc rendering coming from pull requests (something
we have considered for GDAL actually, but not implemented)

~~~~

So let me re-iterate that a reasonable rendering of the doc can be currently
found at:
https://github.com/rouault/PROJ/blob/rfc4_remote_and_geotiff_grid/docs/source/community/rfc/rfc-4.rst

And the pull request with incremental changes at:
https://github.com/OSGeo/PROJ/pull/1747