[PROJ] Transverse and oblique Mercator

Charles Karney charles at karney.com
Tue Jan 14 06:14:33 PST 2020

Transverse Mercator as implemented in PROJ is accurate to about 5
nanometers within 3900 km of the central meridian.  See Fig. 2 on

https://geographiclib.sourceforge.io/html/transversemercator.html#tmfigures

GeographicLib implements an "exact" version of transverse Mercator (in
terms of elliptic functions) which is accurate to 9 nanometers over
the whole ellipsoid.  However, this isn't included in PROJ.

Regarding oblique Mercator...  I understand how this is defined for a
sphere.  But, I'm not sure there's a well accepted definition of how
it is defined on an ellipsoid.  In the case of Mercator (resp.
transverse Mercator) the equator (resp. central meridian) projects to
a straight line at equal scale.  The equivalent line would need to be
specified for oblique Mercator.

   --Charles