[PROJ] Switch to proj-datumgrid-geotiff for PROJ 7 ?

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Thu Jan 16 15:49:16 PST 2020

On Fri, 17 Jan 2020 at 06:19, Even Rouault <even.rouault at spatialys.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've tried to articulate my latest thoughts about how to switch to
> proj-datumgrid-geotiff & organize it in
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-QK5NkQ9ADJrF66_6VoUcQoRoYoIiFY8CRsg1Y_MMzc/edit?usp=sharing
>
> Feel free to edit/comment directly in it.
>
> We should try to reach to a quick conclusion if we want to have this ready for PROJ 7, as there
> will be some bits of development to do. But I think it is the good time to do this.

One thing that concerns me:

> due to the potential different subdivision in packages, the database (grid_alternatives table) should no longer refer to the URL of a package for the location where to find the grid, but to the grid itself, and a good candidate would be to point to the URL of the grid in the CDN

Could we possibly keep the api returning the grid urls from the
existing repos, mark that api as deprecated, and then add new api to
get the new geotiff download urls? Otherwise this is a functional
break for clients, and I'd rather it became a hard-compilation failure
then a silent change in behaviour.

Nyall