[PROJ] How does proj deal with ellipsoid with respect to reprojection

Charles Karney charles at karney.com
Sat Mar 28 09:47:55 PDT 2020

Maybe one of these days I'll get around to implementing the ellipsoidal
version of the gnomonic projection in PROJ.  I derived this in
Algorithms for Geodesics (2013) and it's been in GeographicLib since
2010.  With this projection, geodesics on the ellipsoid and *nearly*
straight.  It's a good way of converting several problems involving
geodesics into equivalent 2d problems.

By the way, the documentation labels the gnomonic projection as
"pseudocylindrical".  This should be "azimuthal".