[PROJ] How does proj deal with ellipsoid with respect to reprojection

Lesparre, Jochem Jochem.Lesparre at kadaster.nl
Sat Mar 28 23:28:57 PDT 2020

Doing point in polygon in a projection will result in occasional wrong conclusions. A point near de edge can seem to be inside the polygon while it's outside, or the other way around, since a straight line in the projection deviates from the geodesic.

I analysed this problem for the Netherlands (51 - 55 degrees north) in the azimuthal projection (+proj=sterea) of the national coordinate reference system RD (epsg:28992) and in plate-caree projection (+proj=lonlat). The deviation depends on the length, orientation and location of a polygon segment. I computed the maximum possible deviation in the Netherlands for both projections to advise the Dutch government not to allow any segments longer than 200 m in a new digital storage system for policy and zoning borders.

Table for the Netherlands:
Segment length, RD deviation, lonlat deviation;

500 km, 160 m, 6 km;
200 km, 25 m, 1 km;
100 km, 6.4 m, 0.2 km;
50 km, 1.6 m, 60 m;
20 km, 26 cm, 9.7 m;
10 km, 8 cm, 2.4 m;
5 km, 3 cm, 60 cm;
2 km, 5 mm, 9.7 cm;
1 km, 1.3 mm, 2.4 cm;
500 m, 0.3 mm, 6 mm;
200 m, <0.1 mm, 1 mm;
100 m, <0.1 mm, 0.2 mm;
50 m, <0.1 mm, <0.1 mm

This means that when you first split long segments of polygons by adding enough points along the geodesic, you could do a point in polygon even in lonlat. The required distance between the added points depends on the location (latitude). Near the poles it will get a bit tricky, as the maximum deviation increases to 50% of the size of the segment length.

Regards, Jochem