[PROJ] Installing PROJ on a Mac

Christophe Besuchet design at golok.net
Tue Nov 24 15:13:22 PST 2020

Hello,

Dumb question from a dumb new user, so please forgive me if this is not the right place to ask.

I’m a QGIS user and I'm trying to solve a problem of reprojecting rasters in Winkel Tripel projection 54042, in the following environment:

mas OS Mojave 10.14.6
QGIS 3.14

I understood that this was due "to the lack in PROJ of implementation of the inverse projection for Winkel II" and that it was now "added for PROJ 7.1".

https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/issues/35512

This is what I attempted:

1. Used Terminal to check if PROJ was installed on my Mac: got the "-bash: proj: command not found"

2. I downloaded the two following files from the download page of proj.org:

• 2020-11-01 proj-7.2.0.tar.gz
• 2020-11-01 proj-data-1.3.tar.gz

3. Tried to install with the "brew install proj" command, as instructed on the installation page, but to no avail; Terminal returned me the following error message: "Error: No such file or directory @ dir_chdir - /usr/local/Cellar” and "Operation not permitted @ dir_s_mkdir - /usr/local/Cellar".

However, after all this, I found a new "PROJ-master" subdirectory in my user directory. In doubt, I checked once again if PROJ was installed on my Mac, but Terminal returned me the same "-bash: proj: command not found".

Obviously I must have missed something, and my knowledge of Terminal commands is absolute zero… What am I supposed to do now?

In advance thank you zillions for your help!

Cheers,

Christophe Besuchet