[PROJ] EPSG v10 update status

Chris Crook ccrook at linz.govt.nz
Sun Oct 11 13:04:36 PDT 2020

3. Even wrote:

> I don't think the last sentence matches what the authors of standard have in mind (I don't think a datum can be *defined* by a transformation to another datum. a datum exists as such. one may establish transformations to others, but they are not defining. at least for geodetic datums. for vertical datums, some of them are indeed defined by a geoid model that applies to a given geodetic datum).

The National CRS of the Netherlands (EPSG crs: 28992) has its own has datum (EPSG datum: 6289). Since 2000, this Dutch datum IS defined as the transformation from ETRS89 (ETRF2000). EPSG mentions for the origin of the datum: "Originally defined through fundamental point Amersfoort, latitude 52°09'22.178"N, longitude 5°23'15.478"E (of Greenwich). Since 2000-10-01 has been redefined as derived from ETRS89 by application of the official transformation RDNAPTRANS(TM)."

Similarly in NZ, NZGD2000 has been defined since 2000.0 as based on ITRF96 by deformation model transformation from ITRF96 (and now by additional transformations from ITRFxxxx as ITRF96 is no longer directly accessible).  Which is not to say it isn't what the authors of the standard had in mind - but it is a geodetic reality.

Regards
Chris