[PROJ] ESRI deprecated CRS

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Wed Jan 6 02:56:23 PST 2021

Javier,

> I do not know what does it mean. Has ESRI deprecated its own CRS, but
> includes the EPSG one (btw, which one?)... with exactly the same info and
> name?

I'm not sure. I suspect their 10xxxxx records might have pre-dated the EPSG
ones (or they didn't adopt them right away), and then they decided to use the
EPSG ones.

> The consequence is that it appears (only once) as deprecated in proj.db. Is
> that intended?

Yes, proj.db reflects the information from the Esri database.

> Making this query
> SELECT auth_name, code, name, deprecated FROM projected_crs WHERE name LIKE
> "%Virginia%South%"
> I realized that the deprecated ones are duplicated in a similar way in ESRI
> file. The non deprecated ones (from CORS96) are not "duplicated" in the
> ESRI file. Is there any reason behind that?

No idea. That's a question for Esri.

> A more general question: What does mean that a CRS is deprecated?

Probably depends on the producer. The meaning for EPSG is given in paragraph
"5.6.1 The Deprecated field" of Guidance Note 7-1. See
https://epsg.org/guidance-notes.html

Regarding Nicolas's remark:
> As you can see, there are small differences like the reversal of the
> standard parallel 1 and 2. Others will give you more information.

For LCC, you can switch std_parallel_1 and _2 indifferently.