[PROJ] Problem understanding units - UTM->helmert

Kristian Evers kreve at sdfe.dk
Mon Jun 14 00:18:32 PDT 2021

Søren,

In the context of PROJ (and geodesy in general) cartesian coordinates refer to 3D coordinates with the origin in the center of the earth. Earth-centered coordinates is another term that is sometimes used. I realize this can be confusing since the coordinates of a UTM projection are also cartesian although only a 2D coordinate system.

See https://proj.org/operations/conversions/cart.html for more on the cartesian operation.

You probably want to do the helmert operation before converting to UTM. Something like this would be more in the lines of what you are describing:

+proj=pipeline +step +proj=cart +ellps=WGS84 +step +proj=helmert ... +step +proj=cart +ellps=WGS84 +inv +step +proj=utm +zone=32

/Kristian