[PROJ] Swiss geoid file (now free)

Sebastiaan Couwenberg sebastic at xs4all.nl
Mon Mar 1 10:32:16 PST 2021

On 3/1/21 7:11 PM, Javier Jimenez Shaw wrote:
> -- License --
> I do not know if their definition of the free access is enough for PROJ
> requirements. In that page, in 'Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)', in
> question 'Under what licence is the geodata supplied by swisstopo?' they
> say:
>
> *swisstopo geodata is supplied with conditions of use which comply with the
> legal basis. The conditions of use enable free use for all purposes and
> oblige the user to indicate the source as “Source: Federal Office of
> Topography swisstopo” or “© swisstopo”.*
>
> In https://www.swisstopo.admin.ch/en/home/meta/conditions/geodata/ogd.html
> the say as well:
>
> *The free geodata and geoservices of swisstopo may be used, distributed and
> made accessible. Furthermore, they may be enriched and processed and also
> used commercially.*
>
> Should I move forward? Is that enough for PROJ?

Non-standard licenses are bad. For their CHENYX06 grids [0] they used
CC0, why don't they use that for CHGeo2004 too?

Unclear terms lead to messes like the German BeTA2007 grid.

[0]
https://www.swisstopo.admin.ch/en/knowledge-facts/surveying-geodesy/reference-frames/transformations-position.html#coordinates-transformation-lv95-lv03

Kind Regards,

Bas